PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are illegal charters less safe?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2016, 13:00
Global_Global

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a huge difference in operators and I have not seen the specific figures on Private ops vs commercial but I know that they are not even close. For all the people who keep shouting that their operation is as safe as scheduled airlines have a look below... The reason I used US figures is because they have the largest amount of data that Cocklin used.

Definitions from the FAA

Accident: An occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards an aircraft with the intention of flight until such time as all persons are disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury as a result of being in or upon the aircraft or by direct contact with the aircraft or anything attached thereto, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.

Accident Rate: The number of accidents per 100,000 flight hours.

Accident rate / fatal accident rate
Scheduled airlines 0.25 / 0.00
Fractional operators 0.25 / 0.03
Scheduled commuters 1.43 / 0.30
Charter operators* 3.11 / 0.83

* Charter operators includes single and multi-engine, helicopters, turboprops, and jets

Source: Fractional Provider Aircraft Accident Update; Compiled by Robert E. Breiling Associates, Inc for the NBAA, manufacturers, and aviation underwriters. The report only includes US operated aircraft.