PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is responsible for supplying the PLB?
Old 31st Jul 2016, 22:26
GBEBZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently registered a replacement PLB with the UK Distress & Security Beacon Registry (as is the law) and got this reply after about 3 months from application (bold mine):

Good afternoon

I do apologise for the long delay, due to changing computing systems, low staffing levels and an unprecedented level of registrations and enquiries. Please find attached a copy of the database entry for your beacon as input today, please check that this input is correct or email back any amendments.

We are entering registrations as quickly as possible but we have a current backlog, as such, the administrative side of returning confirmation and labels is also taking considerably longer at several months, as data input is given operational priority. Therefore until these are received, please treat the attached as "proof of registration". The labels show the beacon Hex Id: 9D...or 1D....., etc as well as the 24 hour contact telephone number for Falmouth Coastguard, who have full access to our database and are located in the same building as the Registry. Their no is: +44 (0)1326 317575, you may wish to note this down should you need to contact them in an emergency.

Regards, Linda
UK Distress & Security Beacon Registry
T: 01326 211569
F: 01326 319264
E: [email protected] or [email protected]
I dont think they would cope with every pilot buying a PLB or every airplane installing an ELT in the next year...