PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link Trainee First Officer Level 1&2
Old 31st Jul 2016, 09:06
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW and hopefully relevant today to most QF 'group' airlines:

A lot what QF is doing is just plain crazy. Get used to being treated like a child. Many things better than flying for them, however, hopefully this will allay some fears and if not (or it's wrong), nothing lost I assume most here would be smart enough to take all on board but ditch the rubbish!

I don't know what they are 'seeking' now (though someone without an opinion on anything would likely be right up there) but in the old days the purpose of psych testing was to tire you to the point they knew you weren't lying (you can't cross reference 800+ questions) and meet certain 'nebulous' criteria. They want to know you won't turn into a wacko if stressed. The actual 'real' pilots interviewing (should) be a lot more practical.

The arrow reference sounds similar to what I did. And back then it was just as bizarre. If it's the same 'type' of thing, they are not after perfect scores but a rate of change/improvement in spatial awareness in an unfamiliar environment. In todays terms, I guess, hoping you will be able to 'cope' in a situation like the Learmonth A330 that decided it was stalling in cruise, or AF447.

They know you will be nervous and unsure. They probably want that - proves you are human and not over cocky - something they hate, even if 'they' perceive it incorrectly. And that was the old days, before AJ decided to sack everyone who might even suggest his watch could be two seconds slow.

Flyboy- as a tongue in cheek word of warning, put away any (if it was good) financial planning knowledge you might have, because aside from management self enrichment, there is no financial plan at QF group companies! More seriously, what you've written seems from memory along the lines of what our group did. I tried to get everything correct (and wouldn't have come close) a mate got to 2 minutes to go and just filled out answers to 'finish'. We both got in, go figure.

Obviously prepare, be concerned but not overly so, be practical, take it as it comes but more importantly I would suggest - don't try to be 'fake', that will be found out and will count against you. There are a lot of not very bright crew out in any airline - it is well known perfection doesn't really exist. More than ever, crew are not leaders, but pawns in the company. They may say they want to hire junior captains, but its really captains who will tow the company line under ANY circumstances that they really want.

If you get through or not, do NOT take it as a major 'fail' in life, and I mean what I write, many I know would consider (20 years later) getting in as being a 'fail'. It is a very big world out there and flying for a living very soon becomes a job. An extremely demanding job for (nowadays) only reasonable pay. Also remember that even in the same industry different people simply do not fit particular companies. That is not 'your' fault, nor is it 'theirs'. You will know people who get in and you will think 'What the F***?' and others who won't get in and you will think 'What the F***?'. And I've known some who were rejected by QF 20+ years prior to them being accepted! Not getting into a very controlled environment (like English boarding school) might be the biggest break of your life.

Just skimming through the previous 10 or so posts. If you do get in and are flat broke, very politely ask if it might be possible to advance you a pay or two. No pilot would ever take that the wrong way, and at that stage they want you out online asap, not having to repeat sims because you cant afford to eat. And they can only say 'no'.

PS: I just had a quick look at the TalentQ website (mainly to see if any QF Directors or ex Directors had set the thing up to further enrich themselves - the name is suspicious and I do not trust anyone anymore, but I digress).Regarding the testing, it would seem my recollection seems to still be pretty accurate. They mention (basically) be practical and honest.

https://www.trytalentq.com/

Last edited by V-Jet; 31st Jul 2016 at 09:17. Reason: Added PS after checking out TalentQ