PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flydubai leaked documents.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2016, 18:51
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chesty M-

Originally Posted by Mungo Man
and disregarding bank angle and sink rate warnings.

What's wrong with that?
Hopefully tongue in cheek ?! (Just in case there are some here who may think otherwise....)

from the report;
On the VOR to 02 KTM we do get glideslope warning the last 2.5 nm if we increase our rate of descent, and thats normal in KTM. Now I could see that we where high, but was not expecting to
No ILS on 02 , so I presume he means "sink rate " warning , unless this is a new addition to the 73-8 GPWS on VOR approaches.

I recall my first trip into KTM years ago, an unscheduled affair whilst u/t on the 340. (Third training trip, I think). Instead of BKK-MCT , we had to go via KTM to pick up pax due some traffic issues .

Night VOR approach to 02 , during monsoon season ( gulp; just as well as couldn't see the hills) . Fortunately, wx over the field was good , so no dramas , and the IP in the right seat (Yaqub A) remained remarkably cool throughout. No RNav approaches in those days, so all basic (and fairly complicated ) procedural stuff with gear/flap/VS selections, which eventually got changed to something more reasonable.

Once cleared , only went in there one more time (daylight ; beautiful views ) and not too long after , the 340 was replaced by the 767 . The powers that be decided the "hairdriers" on the 34-3 were not quite up to the job of adequate terrain clearance , even with all operating.

Back to the subject , I wonder why these guys were circling to the north (if I read it correctly) of the runway ? As I recall , KTM was a Captain only approach , and any circling (and I only ever did it in the initial mandatory sim, although some colleagues did it for real) was done to the south. Lots of room there and good view of the runway for the Capt (PF).

Maybe FR have different SOP's ? As I say , long time since I last went in there.