PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2016, 16:29
Danny42C

Be careful what you wish for - you might get something far worse !

NigG (#286),

Very nice shot of the Blenheim IV. I always thought that the longer nose made it a more handsome aircraft than the rather snub-nosed Mk.Is (IMHO the same was true of the Griffon Spits: the longer nose gave them a more "well balanced" and elegant appearance than the Merlin Marks).

110 (Hyderabad) Squadron had flown the IVs on Channel shipping sweeps in '41/'42, and taken a fair old beating. It meant that India was a rest-cure for them, but the re-equip with Vengeance meant that half their navs/AGs were out of a job. I got a Wop/Ag, Keith Stewart-Mobsby, as my "crew" in a Vengeance, "Stew" and I stayed together till the VVs were pulled off 'ops' in summer '44: we parted, but met again when he joined me as my "adjutant" in Cannanore the following year - but only for a few weeks, then he went home "tour-ex".

The Squadron had flown out to India in a body with their Blenheims in mid '42, then the Mk.IVs were sent back to the M.E., flown by nearly all their junior pilots, with one or two navs needed for the journey. The rump of the Squadron left in India then needed an infusion of fresh pilot blood. Lo: their prayers were answered when a 30-strong mob of young hopefuls straight from UK Spitfire and Hurricane OTUs turned up in Bombay, thirsting to fly the waiting Spitfires which were to fight the "Battle of India" and gain them undying fame.

Only one fly in the ointment (I was going to say "[Gibson's dog] in the woodpile", but you can't say that any more, can you ?) There were no Spitfires waiting for them: there were no Spitfires at all out there. It had all been a Big Con (sound familiar ?) But never fear, lads , we have plenty of bright new Vultee Vengeances for you to fly. What more do you want - jam on it ?

The 30 of us were shared out among the four old Blenheim outfits, we made the best of it, and the rest you know.

Press on regardless.

Danny.

We each had to fight the war we were given - not the one we might have expected !