PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I be a Pilot with 1 A level and EPQ with a Degree?
Old 30th Jul 2016, 15:15
777dreamLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I be a Pilot with 1 A level and EPQ with a Degree?

I am 18 and previously took Maths Physics and a third subject at AS but did not concentrate and enjoy my time there and bullying was a big distraction, then took a gap year (was on a wrong course), I am now taking A level Maths and an EPQ in one year! I can totally handle it and have already been covering most of the modules this summer.

The problem is I heard the usual for pilots is 5 GCSEs A-C and 2 A2 levels or a degree at 2:2. The problem is that I would only technically have 1 A2 level when I finish maths. I want to be an airline pilot (preferably long haul) and I have 8 GCSEs (2 As, 2 Bs, 4Cs) with Maths at grade A and Physics at grade A (Triple science award).

I have been aiming for an A at least for A2 Maths and will be doing all 6 module exams at once next year with my sixth form college. I am also doing an EPQ and aiming for an A in that also, and it is considered an A level grade. I really want to do a full a level in geography because I think it might be more possible to complete in one year than physics, but my college does not do geography. I have thought about doing Further Maths to bring me up to 2 Full A2 levels but that would depend on how I get along as Further Maths is another 6 modules, so I would be doing 12 modules in a year, and that might be challenging!

So I know I will be at a slight disadvantage when applying for cadet schemes with ctc wings and even sponsored schemes having only 1-2 A levels (if you consider the EPQ as an a level), as Flybe, CTC Wings, BA FFP usually all require 3 A levels or a degree at 2:2 for their sponsored schemes (my parents probably won't fund me or risk their home for a BBVA home secured loan).

So should I do a degree in something aviation related like Aerospace Engineering or Aeronautical technology at Liverpool or Staffordshire, I could maybe do an Vocational course in Engineering on top of A2 maths and EPQ to get onto the degree course, then aim for a 2:1 or better, then save up money during my time there and apply for a cadet scheme at age 21/22?

Can anyone give me some friendly and constructive guidance to becoming an airline pilot given my circumstances?