PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2016, 08:50
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Walter:-
I had no intention to let the Goons know that I had a false ID.
Like Danny, it struck me that in assuming the role of a soldier, and so able to take advantage of the opportunities to escape in the outside world of work-parties (as against the caged inside world of an RAF officer), you had condemned yourself to a life of gruelling physical toil. Your alter ego meanwhile led a life of ease and comfort (well, perhaps not so much of the latter). Just as your new friends didn't betray you to the Germans, so presumably neither did his. Which leads me to wonder how widespread a phenomena was this? It certainly seems to have been picked up quickly back home, making the pair of you "cousins"! I certainly can't recall any such ID swapping in the multitude of POW stories that I soaked up in the '50s. Of course, it needed the brief and exceptional opportunity that you so readily seized when it presented itself, and it certainly seems to have been an excellent means of subverting the German bureaucracy that concentrated on securing RAF aircrew to the utmost whilst also exploiting to the full the labour of British ORs. Let's hope that you soon see another chance to exploit it further...