PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 29th Jul 2016, 22:41
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheesedoff,

Got and read the book, an eye opener indeed. I was fortunate to support Captain Burgoyne on a route or two, a proper gentleman, as they say.

Gopher01,

I of course know of black Harry from reputation, but never had the pleasure of learning his " operandus modi", thankfully. I mourn his passing as I do all who have passed the course. I would suggest though that long after he ended his days as a GE, I witnessed some who struggled to do the job, with respect to flight servicing down route. I once did a route with a fellow GE and we worked the inside/outside routine so, I did outside on landing the night before. The next morning he did outside. Whilst straightening the passenger straps (which he should have done on the A/F) and noting that the fatigue meter readings had not been recorded in the 700, I was not surprised when he declared he had finished outside, without getting the ladder out. Well, the pogo stick wasn't used for prodding the tanks, just to dislodge the intake blanks. So much for checking the front end of the engine. If any member of the operating crew were so slack in their duty, I for one would have felt entitled to have a say. This bloke was an insult to everything RAF Groundcrew stood for, a complete shirker. He was still a GE when I left the service. If you read this thread mate, you know who you are, I made it clear at the time. Sorry chaps, chest clear, glad to hear Captain Burgoyne is still good.

Smudge

PS Tucker imbibed appropriately. I call him the Sherrif of Nottingham these days, you'll know why !!