PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMAs...to callout or not
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2003, 01:56
safety_worker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FMAs...to callout or not

Hi All,

In my previous company, the 'B' guys didn't call it out. The fleet has been flying 'comfortably' since late 1980's. We were trained by MR. B himself. While they DO NOT have it as a mandatory STANDARD CALLOUT, they do have it as a VERIFY. One of their guys was down checking our operations out and reported that we SHOULD call out FMA's. This went back to MR. B himself, and the reply was '...upto the operator....'!

Meanwhile, the 'A' guys, DO call it out. Having sat in on many trips in the cockpit, I've noticed a parrot like fashion with the callout.

Now, in my new airline, both the 'A' and the 'B' guys do the callout.
I am glad that it is 'STANDARDISED'!

Discussion -
Do we behave like parrots by calling out what we see?
vs.
Should we callout ONLY what we don't see after making a selection (PF callout's what mode changes he makes - PNF callout's the 'missing / wrong' FMA if any, otherwise says CHECK)

I have found myself becoming a parrot in the callout whilst forgeting to 'realise' whether the FMA readout is CORRECT. I AM NEW on all-sevens, but I do realise sometimes , AFTER I have made the callout that it is correct (logically).
So how do I ensure I haven't made the wrong 'readout' in a stressfull situation, and with the other argument, how can I make sure I will recognize the wrong FMA, and then call it out.

Bottom line, bring in the Psycho / CRM experts on this (I obviously am not 1) (striving)

Safe Wishes,

sounds like i had a few b's ?????????