PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 27th Jul 2016, 20:48
Julio747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parabellum
Julio747 - No, my head is not in the sand but I do think you are blustering ahead with insufficient knowledge of the facts and are making some very rash, some would say dangerous, claims and statements of your probable actions.

For instance, are you aware of the construction of the top layer of asphalt on modern runways? Are you aware that the top layer is deliberately porous to allow the draining away of surface water, through a myriad of tiny tunnels? (A technique invented and developed in The Netherlands, also Singapore University has done some work on this subject, which involves the mixing of tyre rubber with tarmac to achieve the porous effect).

The fact that you can't see a shimmering pool of fuel under the aircraft doesn't mean it isn't there, if present it would be just below the surface and just as flammable.
I am fully conversant with runway design, my friend. And I have viewed every comment, every video, and every photograph on this thread.

The "after the event" shots (and I can't be bothered to find them in the thread for you) are crystal clear. After the event: LHS not a drop of foam...ergo????

So you can hypothesise all you want. But it didn't happen.

If they opened the LH doors, and said, ooh, not sure about that. I may have a different view. But they did not.

They hung on and crossed their fingers. The cc were traumatised to see the fire, and perplexed as to why they were not given an evac command. Let alone the pax....

But hey, let's try to blur the issue with runway design.... Dohhh...

30 tonnes of fuel under a raging fire..... Get the hell out is my view.