PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2016, 19:53
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MPN11

When I was at Changi 67-69 the Stn Cdr was Grp Capt Eric 'Peter' Merriman, I recall a fairly popular man particularly with us Herc' crews. He had flown the Herc' on exchange with the USAF before the RAF got them.

In 1970 some of my mates who had been co-pilots on 48 were doing their captain courses and as part of that they made a visit to 38Group at Upavon. Knowing Groupie Merriman was now on a staff tour there, they made a point of calling into his office to say hello. While exchanging pleasantries, all of a sudden came a shout from the adjoining office, that of the AOC, " Merriman, get your arse in here ".

The mate who told me this, a junior Flt Lt, was quite shocked to hear the Grp Capt spoken to in that fashion. I similarly, had I been there, would have equally been shocked. How the mighty had fallen, one day OC one of the largest stations in the RAF, the next a mere office boy!

It wasn't until about 4 years ago when I read Merriman's obituary in the Telegraph that I realised the shout must have been made in jest, as he and the AOC had been young fighter pilots on the same squadron in 1941.