View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2016, 08:35
Squeaks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In court now for the third day:

Chopper pilot sues flight company over spectacular footy field crash

Wayne Flower, Herald Sun
July 25, 2016 1:57pm

A HELICOPTER pilot who spectacularly crashed a chopper on a footy ground during the 2013 Spring Racing Carnival is suing her former company.

Emma Bobridge destroyed the Bell helicopter shortly after takeoff from Collingwood Football Club's Olympic Park Base.

The chopper, used to transport punters and celebrities, plummeted to the ground in front of stunned onlookers.

The thunderous impact spread debris 30m and Ms Bobridge was forced to scramble out for her life.

The crash forms part of a civil case worth hundreds of thousands of dollars being fought-out in the Federal Circuit Court.

More than $160,000 of the claim relates to alleged “negligence” by the helicopter company Choppair.

But company director and seasoned helicopter pilot Michael Van Der Zypp has counterclaimed a little under $155,000 in compensation over the crash, which he claims was caused by pilot error.

Findings into the crash published by the Australian Transport and Safety Bureau state a likely contributor to the accident was an unsecured ballast bag in the cockpit which moved on takeoff, restricting the controls.

The court heard Mr Van Der Zypp blamed Ms Bobridge for failing to secure the bag, which resulted in the company losing a big contract.

Ms Bobridge’s barrister Mark Champion said the trial, which is scheduled to take about five days, would include testimony from an expert witness who refuted the ATSB finding.

“We take issue she was negligent,” he said.

In addition, Ms Bobridge hopes to be paid thousands of dollars in wages and entitlements, which she claims she was short-changed under a dispute with her award.

The court heard Mr Van Der Zypp claimed Ms Bobridge was not entitled to the payments as she was employed as an independent contractor during the disputed pay periods.

He also claims she was performing predominantly clerical duties on contract from another company at the time of the crash, which placed her under a separate award.

“We say she’s a pilot, who did substantial clerical work,” Mr Champion said.

The hearing continues.

Crash pilot almost downed another chopper, court hears

Wayne Flower, Herald Sun
July 26, 2016 3:22pm

A PILOT suing her company over a spectacular chopper crash captured on film almost crashed another helicopter on the Yarra River, a court has heard.

The dramatic development came on the second day of a Federal Circuit Court hearing which sees pilot Emma Bobridge suing her former company Choppair amid allegations of negligence.

Ms Bobridge destroyed a Bell helicopter shortly after takeoff from Collingwood Football Club’s Olympic Park Base during the 2013 Spring Racing Carnival.

But the court heard she had a near fatal miss when a chopper she was piloting almost clipped a handrail at a city helipad shortly after her return to Melbourne from the Northern Territory in 2010.

Ms Bobridge told the court the Australian Transport and Safety Bureau looked into the incident, but said the chopper escaped without damage.

Choppair boss and pilot Michael Van Der Zypp, who is representing himself in court, said Ms Bobridge missed the handrail by 2.5cm.

Ms Bobridge’s barrister Mark Champion objected to the incident being discussed, but Justice Phillip Burchardt allowed it on the basis that the pilot’s alleged negligence was a relevant issue.

The Olympic Park crash forms part of a civil case worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

More than $160,000 of the claim relates to alleged “negligence” by Choppair.

Mr Van Der Zypp has counterclaimed a little under $155,000 in compensation over the crash, which he claims was caused by pilot error.

Ms Bobridge claims the helicopter got caught on a landing mat as she attempted to takeoff, flipping it over.

“I always maintained that right skid never left the ground,” she said. “It literally felt like someone was standing on my skid.”

The court heard Ms Bobridge worked to correct the crash before she “reached the point of no return” and took her hands of the controls.

“I looked out of the window and I could see the ground coming to my face. At that point I let go and covered my head,” she said.

Mr Van Der Zypp alleges Ms Bobridge crashed the helicopter when an unsecured ballast bag shifted and blocked the controls.

He told the court Ms Bobridge later admitted to him she had “f — ked up” and crashed the helicopter.

Ms Bobridge denied the accusation.

The hearing continues.