Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hornet's Nest
Hornet's Nest
(2016)
John Dimond GAvA
46 x 36 cm - Oil
£300.00

sorry I cannot seem to any longer be able to copy and paste the actual image,
like beforehand. I liked this one of a DH Hornet Moth in flight because the artist has depicted his subject so simply, so unadorned by superfluous effects.

when the dear old(?) Stanwell (well he did offer me a beer and a durry recently !)
says -
As that famous (trite ) saying goes .. "I don't know much about art - but I know what I like" I get ever so mildly riled . Because it is no great feat of imagination or application regarding this subject to work towards a greater understanding of artistic merit (as is the case with the serious study of poetry too) A book that opened my eyes I like to think to art appreciation was by the Hungarian emigre to Australia in 1939 Desiderius Orban . Dad years ago opened and ran a little art gallery in Canberra. Orban put on an exhibition and stayed with us for two weeks. He was a true character , quite unforgettable. He used to have a study and small art school in Sydney . Orban wrote a few books on art appreciation including 'What is art all about?'

Early on in the Second World War the highly esteemed official wartime artist Frank Wootton , painted a picture looking down on a Spitfire in flight over the Firth of Forth Bridge . That painting was used to make a colour plate in the early war publication for youngsters called OUR AIR FORCE. As with so many of Wooten's works it was a beautifully composed work of art. ( I treasued that book for many years.)

Last edited by Fantome; 26th Jul 2016 at 20:21.