PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LGW ATIS
Thread: LGW ATIS
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2016, 17:31
Diet Coke Machine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Nightstop.

Simple answer what we clog up on the ATIS we reduce on the GMC/GMP RT, and have greater capacity to provide you a service on one of the most saturated frequencies there is.

The following disclaimer is that this reply is not directed at you personally, but at some of the behaviours we see daily from flight crew that make our job so much harder and your experience worse.

We ask you to check that your tug team is plugged in and ready so that the clearance doesn't have to be repeated twice on the GMC freq, sadly many of you still don't do this and valuable RT time is lost as the tug crew will not push you unless they hear the clearance.

We ask that you call the correct frequency from 0530L so that valuable RT time isn't wasted telling you to give the entire message again on the correct frequency that has just opened for business. All published in the AIP but sadly ignored.

We ask that after 0600L, once all frequencies are open in the summer, that you 'report ready with GMP'. We shouldn't need to remind you of this, but again we have to as too many airline crews (some big culprits and offenders from our big 3) think that because they have DCL they can freecall GMC when they are ready, negating GMPs role in metering traffic onto the GMC frequency in an orderly fashion to ensure the GMC ATCO can control the frequency and provide a service. GMP stands for Ground Movement Planner, if all flightcrew called ready first on 121.95 it would make our lives and the RT so much easier.

We ask that, during periods of high CTOT regulation or bad weather in the TMA, that you do not request remote hold with GMP. We. Know. You. Want. Push and hold, there's no need to ask!!!!! Yes we know that the airport put a NOTAM out telling you to and your bosses tell you to ask too but seriously when our French cousins go on strike every week, GMP is unmanageable because you all give us your life story about push and hold.
And on the subject of push and hold, it's always push and taxi for remote hold. If we allow you to push into 41/43 without starting engines it means you have to use 41/43M as you're not allowed to push onto 41/43E/W lines. Sometimes we try to help and allow a push only, but that's when we don't have high expected remote hold demand. The number of times I've explained to crew in GMP that it is a push and taxi and then 1 minute later that same crew has gone onto the super busy GMC frequency and tried their luck with a long spiel about push back only to remote hold really is crazy.

And whilst we're on it, please stop asking GMC/Tower what number you are to depart, or is it busy at the hold. A)we don't know the answer that far in advance and the spacing strategy changes so a number in sequence is pointless, B)yes it usually is in summer.

And another one, I don't care if you're G able or B able 'if it helps'. Too Busy.... I'll ask if you if it will help me.

I could go on all day about remote holds actually creating delay but I've answered your original questions I think in regard to the new ATIS messages. Sorry you don't like them, we wish we didn't have to include them, but we need your help to manage the RT properly so we can work together and provide you a safe professional service this summer. The new ATIS messages are a first step.

My rant over now.

Please follow up with any questions I'm sure there will be a few..

Oh last one, LGW ATC don't send NOTAMs the airport do, so it's easier to get the message across via ATIS.