PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA staff walkout @ LHR
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2003, 22:12
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M Mouse

But then if they do that the nice liittle perks available at the moment will be gone forever.
There has been a lot about the so-called 'spanish practises' and clocking off early coming out of BA management lately. This is a total red herring (more propaganda?).

ATR is irrelevant to this argument - if there is a problem with absenteeism at the terminal at LHR then what are the line managers doing about it? - god knows there are enough of them!

Absenteeism can be perfectly well controlled using the old pen and paper system of time recording - if I disappeared after 2 hours my manager certainly wouldn't need a computer to see that I had gone.

From todays Guardian.

Listen to the company, and the introduction of electronic swipe cards is a modern, efficient successor to writing signatures on bits of paper at the beginning and end of shifts. Senior BA managers have complained that some staff are heading home early, colleagues later forging signatures practised in pubs around Heathrow. The allegation echoes the newspaper owners in the 1970s and 1980s, with BA somehow having survived as a bastion of the restrictive practices swept away by Rupert Murdoch's moonlight flit to Wapping.

So how many BA check-in staff have been disciplined in recent years for bunking off early, cheating the company of a few hours here and the odd half day there as passengers heading for Benidorm have been left stranded at the Belfast gate? Perhaps a dozen? Maybe 50? Possibly even hundreds? After the hoo-ha of the past few days, the shocking figure was disclosed yesterday by a BA spokesman. "None that we know of," he said.

So if ATR isn't needed to control a problem with absenteeism, what is it needed for? - perhaps a clue from what is actually built into ATR - Annualised hours?