PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2016, 15:43
Danny42C

This noble Thread can be likened to a volcano, which interrupts periods of relative quiet (when the stove in our cybercrewroom is "banked-down" and "exeunt omnes"), with periods of furious activity (rather like a war, in fact), in which your patient scribe is fair swept away in a flood of Posts, all of which are worthy of remark (and is this "craic" not what a Forum is for ?)

This is complicated by the fact that it has a stablemate Thread now, running very close, which has very strong connections to your Scribe, who has to share his time with this and others. I refer, of course, to "Wing Commander Gill OBE DFC". He (RIP) gained his RAF Pilot's Brevet even before WWII, and his gripping story is being told admirably to us by his son (NigG), as many of us know already.

I do not suggest that the Threads be merged - it is not for me to suggest it in any case - but I have to be careful to reply in strict chrononlgical order and Not Get Mixed Up (which has happened at times), and have devised a Wizard Scheme to that end.

Cut the cackle, Scribe, and get on with it !

Stanwell (#8949),

Thanks for introducing the subject of the GAVA site (and setting the Thread off on another of its wandering byways). But (as Chugalug reminds us): " We know nothing about Painting - but we know what we like !"
...I did spend a while on there without realising that I was drooling over my keypad...
Drool on, friend, it happens increasingly as the years mount up !

Chugalug (#8950 and #8951),

As for the VV is concerned, I've given my opinion already !

Now the others:

1. "Thermal Hunters" - Gliders: I'm sure Stanwell would agree with me that this is a case where a soaring Eagle (or even a Vulture) would not be out of place in the picture !

2. "D-Day - Pegasus Bridge" reflects the extra hazards of glider ops - multiple pile-ups in the landing area ! Note the "bent" tree in the background - no guesses needed about what happened here. There was a TV of an anniversary celebration there some years ago, still remember the affecting picture of an old Paratroop Major (the leader ?) being pushed across the bridge in a wheelchair by his old driver on the day !

3. "High in the sunlit silence" - smooth gliders. At first glance, thought I was seeing the fabled "sky hooks" on the far glider - but they were just angled wingtips !

4. "Looking for Lift": Hard to tell altitude without scale - but if I were in the lower glider, I would be seriously worried - unless I was sure of "orographic lift" (wasn't it) pretty soon !

5. "Spot Landings par excellence". Again, the first glider couldn't have got closer - but the others were piling in behind. And there's no: "Give it the gun and go around !" now, Agree with Stanwell (#8958) - this is going to be a bit "hairy" soon (hope Hoskins gets the "round-up" right this time).
Rather liked it - till I saw the price !

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 26th Jul 2016 at 17:55. Reason: Wizard System u/s TFN. Will sort out !