PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2016, 09:49
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPN11

Ha! Very amusing! Actually what you related also gives an insight into what sort of person you are (..if you don't mind my saying so). I rather think someone who would be good to work for, and with. (30 hours trip home? ..Rather you than me!)

The issue of leadership-style is something anyone who's served in the Forces would be able to talk about at length. Arthur had a sobering experience with his first CO on 84 Sqn. This Wing Commander was notorious for his 'sergeant-major-like' characteristics. The squadron was at a landing ground in the Western Desert, in 1941. It was an interesting place, having been 'relieved' from the Italians, with various wrecked enemy aircraft littering the place. It was both rudimentary and susceptible to attack, so the squadron had to dig-in. The three aircrew of each Blenheim IV dug a group sleeping shelter, and in addition to this a Mess shelter was dug for meals and team get-togethers. The CO's order was that the latter would be dug by everyone first, after which crews would be free to work on their own shelter. For reasons unknown, Arthur, a Flying Officer and recent arrival to the squadron, and his two colleagues, both Flight Sergeants, got stuck into digging their shelter before work had started on the one for the Mess. After a short while, the CO came storming over and tore the three of them off a strip for disobeying him. (I tend to visualise the three of them standing to attention, but firmly braced against the severe blast emanating from the CO's voicebox!) I doubt there are many F/Os who would relish being told-off in front of their subordinates, especially in that manner.

I might add that the CO in question went on to become an Air Vice Marshal. So, I guess his capacity to make people jump must have impressed someone, somewhere.