PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham crash and "Just Culture"
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2016, 07:42
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm not sure what is being said here. In this country causing death through negligent or reckless behaviour is a criminal offence - are people suggesting that pilots should be exempt from this? If I drive at 60mph down the high street and then due to ice on the road I don't make the corner at the end, ploughing into a bus queue and killing people, the proximate cause of the crash may well have been the ice, but I will be tried for manslaughter or death by dangerous driving and probably convicted.

In driving at 60mph I would have exceeded the limits of my "display authorisiation" and in doing so in icy conditions with nearby pedestrians I would have shown a negligent/reckless lack of "carmanship".

If someone breaks the known rules, authorisations and limits of good airmanship and people die as a result I would expect a criminal prosecution. We don't see it happen that often simply because of the very unusual feature of this crash - the pilot actually survived.

But why should different rules apply to pilots than to the rest of the population?

PDR