PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2016, 07:37
MPN11

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Greetings, chaps! Thanks for asking - both Arizona and Alaska were very interesting, and warm and sunny! Now recovering from the journey home: we left Anchorage at 0125 on Friday, and flew via Phoenix, Charlotte and Dublin back to Jersey, a 30-hour trip ending at 1300 on Saturday [all times local]

Anyway ... my only 'clash' was with an OC Ops who also happened to be an old buddy [I shall avoid identifying him]. From my back office I was aware that he was giving my young fg off Watch Supervisor a hard time about something, so I intervened. In the subsequent "May we continue this in the privacy of your office, Sir?", I suggested that if he had a perceived problem he should use the 'chain of command' and address his concerns to me in the first place - instead of giving a fg off a hard time over professional ATC matters. He took my point, graciously, because he was that sort of 'good bloke'.

Actually, I now recall we also had a 'lively debate' about something in the Mess one evening. I realised in the morning that I had probably pushed the boundaries a bit far, and went to his office to apologise. I knocked, and when he called "Come in" I opened the door and entered walking on my knees, apologising as I did so. He laughed, accused me of drinking "Vino Furioso" the night before, and we both moved on ... contentedly.

Another OC Ops [elsewhere] used to come and 'hide' in my office, drinking my freshly-brewed filter coffee, when the Stn Cdr was giving him a hard time. "Only my PA knows where I am, and he's sworn to silence"

Indeed, my SASO also did that at HQ 11 Gp, hiding from the AOC ... and he also used to raid my box of cigars. I always felt I provided some form of 'Social Services' to some of my bosses