PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - advice for Munich?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2016, 14:26
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew in and out of Munich Oberschleissheim in a C 182 amphibian last week, with no problem whatever. We spent the night, bought fuel and visted the museum with delight. I was very well accommodated by ATC both inbound, and then outbound (to Innsbruck). Indeed, routing VFR direct from Sylt to Oberschleissheim could not have been more convenient for me. I found the circuit at Oberschleissheim to be perfectly fine, as long as you read the procedure, and then looked for the landmarks. Probably the privilege to use such a convenient airport is linked to local area noise sensitivity, and a resulting unusual circuit shape, so I'm quite happy to accommodate that by following the procedures.

In general, I found last week's travel through Europe to be excellently accommodating and convenient. I felt no need to have negative expectations like:

...WTF is that? .... don't ask scratch head.....strange regulations for landing and obscure traffic pattern.....gras and quite short......far out and who declared that tinyport as a "GA airfield for Munich" ??? ridiculous.....no infrastructure and quite far......couldn't figure out exactly how to get landing permission there?.....??? that is 30+ nauticals out?).
With that attitude at the start of the effort, it appears to me that disappointment is inevitable. I built my own aerodrome here at home, so it is convenient for me. Every other aerodrome I use, I use with appreciation that it is there at all, and available for me to use - and I will accept their terms. If I don't like the terms, yes, I might scratch head, but will still smile, and follow the rules should I choose to use it.