PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2016, 09:32
Danny42C

Jeff,

This is interesting, as it begs a number of questions. First, overcrowded as they were, the Germans never seem to have "billeted them out" on local civilian families, as we seem to have done with the Italians in Perth (cf esa-aardvark's #8938).

Then it underlines Hitler's dilemma in the 1940 Blitzkrieg. With his armour driving hard to the Channel ports, he could not be bothered with the potential 300,000 POWs, whom he would have to guard, feed and house when they fell into his hands in a few day's time.

No problem: order Guderian to halt his Panzers for a day or so to enable this lot to get back across the Channel. There they would be Britain's headache - not his. Britain would now have to sue for terms, anyway. She was utterly defeated, everybody thought so (including the Chamberlain/Halifax Cabinet and the American ambassador - the patriarch of the Kennedy clan). There was one dissenter - but his voice counted - Churchill. The rest we all know.

"Dixie" Dean was a hero of my Liverpool youth (played for Everton - remembered there to this day). Couldn't possibly be the same man ?

The Wehrmacht seem to have got a bad bargain when that chap took the Führer's Reichmark. Tries to get an (imaginary, I hope) round up the spout, and pulls the ruddy bolt out of the rifle! I would not entrust him with a popgun, would you ? (hope they hadn't got live rounds - or bayonets !)

They gave me a pick-helve (handle), and told me to do my best with it.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 26th Jul 2016 at 08:57. Reason: Advice,