PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Russians are coming!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2016, 22:14
Trevor the lover

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll jump in the bunker with you Zanzi. Yep a truly great achievement - but surely the latitude of circumnavigation must come into the definition somewhere. If I go down to 89 59 south and do a quick trot around, can I claim the fastest circumnavigation?

I feel a bit ashamed that maybe I'm knocking a fabulous exploit - but it is a point worthy of discussion.

And to continue my slight cynicism - recent events of young guys flying the globe in very modern Cirrus aircraft with fully coupled uber accurate nav systems. Ive circled the globe many times in biz jets. Ive had to handle all paperwork requirements - overfly, landing permits, customs and immigration etc etc. My aircraft was 15 years older, but it did have 2 engines and goes faster. Other than that - what is the difference between me and them? Take off, plug in autopilot and let modern, reliable aircraft do the rest. I think in this day and age of incredible aircraft technology, the way to do something truly epic is to go back and do it in something vintage and basic.

Think I'd better get underneath you in the bunker Zanzi.