PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 24th Jul 2016, 21:15
nose,cabin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fire
(they reported 6 minutes in the Singapore press)

If the press are correct it is a "no brainer" to evacuate as you write.
That seems a very long time.
If 6 minutes after touchdown (is correct) to get the fire "under control " with a fire like that, they are very lucky indeed.
Why did they not evacuate.?

My initial reaction was obvious , " no brainer" to evacuate.

The aircraft landed (guessing) flap15 VRef 170 knot MLW 240 tons approx landing distance say over 2000 meters no heavy braking. (A guess).
This landing roll would take 40 seconds say while burning wing is being photographed.

I expect the tech., Crew were informed by tower immediately, and engine fire warning, the cabin crew call (perhaps )was answered after PARK BRAKE set.

My guess , Captain calls for EVACUATION checklist after setting park brake.
Initial PA "cabin crew at stations" ( SOP)

This evacuation checklist is practiced by all crew repeatedly in simulator License renewals worldwide.

A cabin video shows entertainment screens illuminated in the cabin, IFE was still powered by AC bus, hence the engine or APU, still running, hence evacuation checklist was not completed. At that time.

Why not? it was a "no brainer" as we agree.

All I can think of is the efficiency of the fire trucks do get the fire "extinguished " or "under control" in a very short time. Less than time required to complete the evacuation checklist , hard to believe for sure. 6 minutes is too long.

This needs to be discussed as it could easily happen to anyone on any evacuation in future.

See USA threads re sacking a captain.
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...vacuation.html

How important is this area if "fire crew " do call off the evacuation ?
Have the fire services confirmed and accepted full responsibility for the aircraft?

The wing fuel tank ( I guess.) 20 tons of fuel and is possibly weakened by heat. I would not trust the FIre services, "under control " report, because too many passengers lives in danger and no legislation to protect and recognize this call from fire services. Have they been licensed to make this important decision?.

It is overdue time for the worlds' regulators and airlines flight operations management , to show some leadership.
They need to make a directive immediately.

I hope this is not viewed by some, as "wild speculation" after all this is a forum to read and think. And learn !