PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 24th Jul 2016, 19:16
Julio747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try watching the video!

Originally Posted by nose,cabin
PAX boy. Rapid fire is most likely and (my theory) extinguished just as rapidly.
Singapore is RFF 10
Any " fire fighters" input on the time required to extinguish a fire like this?

When the fire department practice fire drills at the airport on the fire trainer fuselage it seems a minute passes only before extinguishing the practice fire assuming zero additional fuel sources. Ie tank ruptured.

What if the fire was reported (from fire tender one) "under control" within a minute? My guess and speculation .
A Shorter time than completing the evacuation checklist.
What then?
The rff do not arrive and pump until over a minute after wheels stop (I acknowledge that is a fast time). A minute later, the fire is in no way under control (everyone would be out by that time if an evac was called). It took another 2 mins to control the fire. So 3 mins after pumping started, 4 mins after wheels stopped, and about 5 mins after touchdown (they reported 6 in the Singapore press, we can't tell the time of the rollout from the video).

The point I am making is why guess that the fire might have been in control within a minute when we have hard, video evidence that is certainly was not?

The tower could certainly see what the video captured (I am talking about the one shot from afar by a malaysian speaking ground staff) but the rff were driving in the opposite direction for the first 30-40 seconds, and so could not see it. The cc and pax clearly could see it.

By the way, the darkness on some videos is an exposure effect inside the AC vs the huge flare outside. At the time the ac landed, it was not pitch black. This can be judged by the distant video. It was 20 mins before sunrise (07.06), and it pops up in an instant here on the equator. Best described as half-light at the time of landing. Like a grey day in the UK.