PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I have been given clearance?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2016, 17:32
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobster911
I've been offline for a while, thank you for all the responses. It's a small airfield with the radio operator sat in the clubhouse area. They have a view of the runway and the approach. When I called final, I could clearly see the aircraft in front, who had just touched down, and I was given the runway information, surface wind etc etc. I'd imagine, however, that in the event of the 'controller' not deeming it safe for me to land, he would've told me to go around? I wasn't told to 'land after' or anything like that, and as I said, I wouldn't have let the wheels touch the ground had the aircraft not called vacated by the time I was coming over the threshold. @Maoraigh1 . it is indeed this one airfield I've been learning at. Moving on to cross country and navigation for my next lesson.
Tobster.
Having read this a bit closer it seems you have assumed this to be a controller.
I'm sorry but "I'd imagine>>>he would have told me to go around" does not apply.
You are in a situation of false security, for want of a better description.
You really must talk to your instructor about what the "controller" is authorised to do.
Basically he can TELL you nothing, he can advise the runway in use, advise the wind, advise other known traffic etc. He cannot give you permission, clearance, land after, go around etc.