PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KA, anyone listening?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2016, 13:01
Enuff Said

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I am feeling compelled to write.
Re Dragonair Command Training.
I have survived the aviaition industry for almost 33 years..I have also endured the Dragonair system having held a previous Jet command..I am so tired hearing about how difficult the current set of 'Nit picking trainers 'make the whole process..I grew up with respect for the trainers and the position.Every day I am reminded about the sense of entitlement from my fellow aviator in the right seat.
Generally they have no respect for me or the job.
They are training to a standard to allow a two crew operation with a new Captain..Yes , it is hard to swallow, but as a new Captain with Dragonair you have met the minimum standard to be let loose with a new cadet just as much as he or she has been let loose to operate with a min standard Captain.
For info, I put myself under more pressure than any Dragonair Training Captain during my own Training.
To My friend Mr A370 who has converted from the 330, might I say that this is the easiest ride you could ever get from Dragon.
Whilst I may not agree with the standards, I will stand firm and state that the Standardisation amongst the crew is second to none..I truley believe that there are no real real surprises in the way that people try to operate.If there are differences, good CRM skills with challenge and response will lead to a resolution of the conflict at hand.
I joined the airline where commands were running at 18 mths.I also joined that airline where every day guys were talking about scenarios and the what if question. Many a Dragon pilot came from a very experienced training and checking background and it shows with our determination to get the job done.
The fact now that the new generation of pilot sees some sense of entitlement is discouraging in the least.
I am not a trainer in Dragonair...I do not have any motive but to state the facts as I see it.
I also take offense to the comment that a Captain with 18 mths experience cannot be a good trainer.
Training is all about bringing out the best of the people you are with.
Transitioning from a F/O position is all about being given the opportunity to prove that you can be a good captain..The difference between a good and great captain is about motivation.
Dragon does not suffer fools..If you do not know how to fly or configure a vor approach during your command training you WILL BE SCRUBBED..
I do not have a problem with this..And do you know what...Basically I get to do everything that I would normally do..I do not live in fear of the CVR Or FDAP..I also realise that if I have done something questionable..the phone call will come,,I will explain my actions, there will be reason at the other end , good for me or good for them.. I have no reason to doubt at the moment.. But hey, what would I know
I am just a line driver..enuff said ..