PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Bad experience
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2016, 09:16
youngmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Mic???
I don't normally jump through hoops for little reason but I'll make an exception, I am not sure what the purpose of the question was but I pulled up the Jabiru SB and below is what it says. All sounds pretty normal to me with an insufficiently strong through bolt suffering metal fatigue likely due to cyclic loads to close to its yield point.

But what's your point?

3.2 Contributing Factors 

A number of factors can contribute to through-bolt failure. The following list contains a few examples but there are many other, smaller, factors which can have an impact.

a) Detonation or uneven combustion. Detonation or uneven combustion can be caused by incorrect tuning, induction system leaks, stale or incorrect fuel or a number of other factors. The result is increased engine vibration.

b) Operation. Engines which work hard with high engine temperatures tend to have more issues than others.

c) Maintenance. In some cases through bolt failures have been caused when a person has tightened them beyond the design tension. Poorly calibrated torque wrenches and poor understanding of tools like the “crowsfoot” torque wrench extension also contribute.

Last edited by youngmic; 24th Jul 2016 at 12:16.