PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 18:25
Danny42C

Buster11 (#8936 again),

Suddenly reminded me of Sabena Captain Reg Levy DFC (RIP), in his gripping account of his high-jacking at Tel Aviv. The highjackers (two men and two women) were not fluent in English, which "regle" (as we knew him here) was using with the Tower. So every time he used the syllable "for" (eg "before", "information", etc), he stressed it, to advise that there were four attackers to be dealt with. Israeli Intelligence picked it up at once, and it was instrumental in the final success when the aircraft was stormed by an Israeli SAS group, which incidentally included two future Prime Ministers of Israel !

They shot the two men and a woman, captured the other woman, the passengers (which included Reg's wife) were released unharmed apart from one woman wounded.

Reg captained the 707 back to Brussels, a hero in Belgium and Israel, and acclaimed throughout the world.

I hesitated to put in this summary, but Reg's book: "Night Flak to High Jack" has been in the book shops for several months now - and in any event. PPRuNe readers in general (and members of this Forum in particular) are only a minuscule part of the book reading public. I have the Kindle version, well worth a read !

Nevertheless, if any of you (or the Moderators) think this infringes his copyright (which must lie with his Estate), tell me, and I will take it down at once !

Danny.