PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Straw poll - magazines
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 22:38
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Given the issues with a hot topic elsewhere I found it amusing that Archant have
just given me a years free subscripton to Pilot

To be honest that was because I told them what was wrong with Pilot and the UKGA website they bought last year.

In the long term most low circulation glossy magazines are doomed. The internet is killing them.
Strip out the adverts etc plus the fillers which are mostly press releases and what are you left with?

I bought Pilot 35 years ago to access the AAIB reports,GASCO info and frankly material that James Gilbert was sent free in press releases and padded out with a few regulars such as Alan Bramson,Bernard Chabbert etc.

The classified adverts were also a key reason why I forked out my money every month.
Advertisers now want targeted results. Google etc deliver and at a much lower price than a half page in a monthly. Magazines need the advertising to survive and if they get 30% then they are doing well. Local newspapers have seen all their small ads disappear to the internet which has also destroyed Yellow Pages.

I understand these days the cover price will barely pay for the print and the distribution cost. One big issue that all publishers have is they have to pay to have the magazine to be put on the shelves - WH Smith charge for this big time.

A magazine on the shelf for £3 returns around £1.50 to the publisher so subscriptions are more profitable. The stores also stock them on a sale or return basis.

Pilot, although claiming to be the best selling UK GA monthly, only manages around 10'000 copies a month just below What Mountain Bike.
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/full-2...verage-4-cent/

Lachlan Smart is an 18 year old trying to circumnaviate solo from Australia. Why would I want to read his out of date story several weeks in the future when I can interact with him now on his website.
http://www.wingsaroundtheworld.com.a...lachlan-smart/

Newspapers I read 100% online.

My pet hate is the standard air to air magazine shot with the titles and content super imposed.
Ground hog day.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 23rd Jul 2016 at 07:18. Reason: typos