PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I have been given clearance?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 12:43
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by fujii
I take it from the answers that no tower controllers have contributed. The answer is yes, you may be cleared to land on an occupied runway. Assuming ICAO RWY separation standards, this includes up to Heavy aircraft. The condition is that the departing aircraft must be airborne and past the point where the lander is expected to vacate the RWY before the lander crosses the threshold.

When the weights of the two aircraft are below 7000kg an aircraft may land with the RWY occupied provided certain conditions are met. (Weight of each aircraft, distance between, controller's assessment of risk, backtrack requirement)

This is a simplified version. If cleared to land, a standard will exist when you cross the threshold. If something goes amiss, you'll be sent around or you may initiate your own go around.
Fujii: although this is used in some countries only a few airports in the UK are approved to use it and the first landing aircraft must be at least 2,500m from the landing threshold.
As ShyTorque said, provided certain conditions are fulfilled, (daylight, good visibility, succeeding aircraft must keep the first one in view, controller must have continuous view of both aircraft) ATC (but not AFIS) may say 'land after' to the succeeding aircraft, so the situation encountered by tobster911 should not have occured.
I just wish FISOs were allowed to do this too, it would reduce the number of unnecessary go arounds certainly where I work.