PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 12:33
Danny42C

Chugalug (#8925)
... The escapes that I query are following capture and mainly self managed. Why were the vast majority Air Force, or were they ?...
I believe they were. I think that aircrew (having survived a rigorous selection process) were more "adventurous" (not to blow my own trumpet, you understand) and readier to "think on their feet" for themselves.

Whereas your average "squaddie" had drilled into him that his basic duty was to obey orders. So now he simply carried on doing so - but from enemy officers and NCOs. It was for this reason that the Germans were careful to separate our officers from their troops - usually in different camps. That allowed them to concentrate their anti-escape measures on the officers, who were far more likely to give them trouble in that way.

All that is "off the top of my head", backed up by no experience, and open to be shot down ! I well remember incurring "Fredghh's" (RIP) censure by saying that "life in a Transit Camp must have been like being a POW - except that you could escape !" (he swiftly put me right).

Danny.