PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 09:51
ATNotts

Received 284 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by getonittt
Not sure what you mean by " the market" . People are still going to have holidays , no matter what , that's a gimme , but I think after events of the last few months it is Spain and Portugal that will see an increase in visitors and that is what this extra capacity is providing.
"The market" itself may not grow that much, but the arrival of Jet2 on the scene with their good old fashioned "family package holiday" brand may well pull in passengers who previously flew from EMA and MAN, and provide Jet2 with a new market further to the south and southwest of England.

I'm afraid I don't buy the "staycation" (I absolutely hate that stupid American term - we have holidays not vacations!) thing that's being peddled in the media at the moment. With sterling settled around € 1.20 it is only 6-7% below it's average value pre- referendum, and most people not having any idea what the pound is worth anyway. Testament to that is now many people buy their "holiday money" at airport bureau de change!

Brits. pretty much view their 2 weeks in the sun as a necessity these days, and much like price rises in motor fuel, they won't like a hike in package tour and air fares, but they'll grin and bear them, and either go further into debt, or save somewhere else to afford the holiday. If anything, I could see the "city break" market suffering, as I recall it did post the economic crash.