PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 21:14
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Thanks Chronus for raising the thread, I hadn't realised SD had posted a load of sh*te and it gives me a chance to reply.

I am surprised this post hasn't attracted adverse comments before now, because the analogies that Nutloose has made or some of the most crass I have seen. Tic, you are right in the Herald is a much studied example, as are Piper Alpha, Kings Cross etc. And indeed these massive failures were in the main what led to the sea change in safety management in the UK.
Some as already mentioned have been addressed as examples on here, so I see know point in addressing this as it has already been covered in using the ferry disaster as an example.

However, comparing the events that Nut has cited to Shoreham is particularly bone headed. He has compared activities from which people gain real tangible benefits, e.g. refuse collection, travel, transport (people, food, goods etc) with an airshow. Yes, leisure activities are important too, but in this case (and others), it seems more about an individual satisfying his lust for flying with doing it an airshow somehow legitimising the risk or more likely, helping to fund it. What many on here seem to forget is that in assessing risk, the benefits gained from taking the risk need to be considered. Airshows provide entertainment. The activities that Nut uses as a comparison provide far, far more.
So you are in effect saying that those that died at Shoreham due to it being an "entertainment" are not relevant in the real wide world where those that got mowed down by a bin Lorry are, because the bin Lorry was carrying out "tangible benefits" which of course are allowed to continue because there is a financial and commercial factors at work.

You also point out it was all the fault of someone with a lust for flying that is the primary cause, how then can you then explain the continuing ban and financial implications on the owners of Hunter aircraft, whose assets are now virtually worthless, even though that wasn't the primary cause of the accident and may have complied with all the legislation and requirements in place. Dustbin lorries were not removed from instant service across the UK until the inquiry was concluded, why was the Hunter?

Leisure activities and entertainment are a vital part of life by the way, but when one persons entertainment exposes others to risk, then that person has to think very carefully about the consequences if things go wrong, because individuals can and should be held to account.
And so should everyone else, sadly in some cases it still hasn't happened, Bhopal is a classic case.