PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 19:43
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny

'One of yesterday's men', you wrote. I'm pretty sure that Arthur had similar thoughts. He admitted to clashing with a number of superiors. It must have been frustrating to have so much knowledge, experience and expertise, then to find someone of doubtful background but superior rank telling you that you are wrong, or otherwise think it appropriate to breath down your neck.

I recall something related that he wrote about, as follows...

'In March 1953, I assumed command of Old Sarum, which, among other things, was the home of the School of Land/Air Warfare (later renamed JWE). The commander of the LAW was an Air Vice Marshal. I called on him on the day I took up my post as Station Commander. For the first few days he was continually on my back - "this is wrong!" - "that needs altering!" After the third day, I'd had enough. I said to him "Will you please give me a month to find my feet and decide what needs to be changed. If I have not settled-in to your satisfaction by this time, you can ask Command HQ to find a new Station Commander". He had a look of utter astonishment on his face, but agreed so to do. I never had any trouble with him after that, and we became good friends.'

Last edited by NigG; 21st Jul 2016 at 19:56.