PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squawk [code] "coming down!"
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 17:13
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Let’s go back to the beginning as I’ve just found this thread………..I know, late again.

>>>Seriously, what is the origin of the phrase "coming down"? Am I the only one who has never seen a transponder more archaic than this one? <<<

Nope, I’ve used an OLDER one !
As an "old and bold”, I remember when the new fangled TXDR was a mere IFF Mk.1 (Identification Friend or Foe), way before it was released upon an unsuspecting civvy aviation world.
It’s NATO designation code was, in fact, PARROT; hence one ”SQUAWKED” High, Low or Emergency ! What ?? Yep, just three possible modes with this secondary radar could announce to the Controller where and who the hell we were.
Of course,with being so limited in it’s scope, it had to be rapidly updated by a more capable version. This ended up as the IFF Mk10. with (IIRC) 4096 modes, similar to the one we are using now and also showing how the system limitation can still be overloaded. The four digits were at that time used to identify Task Force, Ship, individual aircraft and even pilot ! Cunning gadget…….

Well, of course, the civvy aviation world thought that this was far too good a machine to be left solely with the military ! So, as so many airline crews were becoming unsure of where they were, it was a really good idea to let them play with it to stop them bumping into each other.

That’s when the rot set in and all kinds of silly R/T phrases were conjured up to establish some sort of verbal aerial hierarchy of the “haves” and “have nots” !
Yes, you’re right. Some did start with the military in a vain attempt to keep the R/T to the least/shortest possible transmission. Then, as with everything where there is a degree of apparent competition, somebody always tries to come up with something smarter. Ho hmm.

Last edited by Sleeve Wing; 21st Jul 2016 at 17:15. Reason: Spelling