PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 10:39
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I take the point about moaning :-)

However, loss of daily frequency to SIN is a setback. Reservations systems prioritise date requested in an availability search rather than pointing out that there is a non-stop direct flight one day earlier / later. On the 'Kangaroo route' where a higher proportion of travellers still use traditional agencies, many will never be made aware of the advantage of altering their plans by 24 hours. They'll just find themselves lumbered with a nightmare terminal transfer at LHR. And whilst daily from March 2017 would be great, the crucial Christmas / New Year trade will have been disrupted.

Probably all of the regular readers on here are well aware of this new service and the frequency offered. But we're far from typical. Granny and Grandad will trust Clueless Travel to book them via a 90-minute terminal transfer at LHR with no mention of the obvious alternative. Not all agents are this lax, but in my experience many are. They look at the first requested date and that's it, even when the traveller could be flexible.

In the past, I myself have been booked on a long-haul service having specified the Manchester days of operation. An elderly limited-mobility parent was travelling with me back from Australia at the time. The airline then altered the MAN days of operation ... I was aware of this long before they admitted to it. But no amount of reasoning would persuade them to allow a switch by one day to the new Manchester day. Heathrow it was. Utterly, utterly horrendous. I've only flown one long-haul sector with that airline in many years since then, and that was booked by a cruise company which offered no viable alternative. That airline's lying and intransigence following their own schedule-alteration has cost them many thousands of pounds in subsequent bookings from me. I hope Singapore Airlines will treat their affected customers better by allowing rebooking to a non-stop MAN service 24 hours earlier / later.

I don't deny the positives though. Adding Houston is great news as is protecting the route's cargo uplift capability. And hopefully the frequency reduction will be short-term Winter season only.