PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-208 amphib take off roll into bridge
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 06:13
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Geosync
Five killed after seaplane hits bridge on maiden flight in Jinshan District | Shanghai Daily

I've seen some stupid things in aviation...this is definitely top 5, maybe even top 3. I've never flown a floatplane, but I'm pretty certain the passage - "Line up with the bridge dead ahead 500 meters, full power!" is not in the checklist.....
After the turn he headed toward the bridge, it took around 9 seconds to hit the bridge. What is normal takeoff roll for this aircraft and load?

Whilst we don't know the cause of the accident, a video crew were onboard and pilot distraction under the influence of cameras is far from unusual.

http://mobile.shanghaidaily.com/nati.../shdaily.shtml

Wu Liangliang, the cameraman, said: “Before takeoff, the seaplane had been taxiing on the sea for about 20 minutes. It suddenly accelerated and turned left sharply. The co-pilot shouted ‘bridge!’ before the seaplane crashed onto it"

I'd like to know if there was a plan to taxi or takeoff near the bridge for the cameras.
Also onboard were a reporter and the Deputy Director of the local News and Media Center.

Mickjoebill

Last edited by mickjoebill; 21st Jul 2016 at 13:32.