PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Mulls Stretching 777 to Knock Out Airbus A380
Old 21st Jul 2016, 04:20
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlines do not want to drop this amount of coin on an airframe it seems.
Everyone is waiting, having placed a lot of orders already.
Waiting for what happens in the ME. They know of the looming problems at the ME3. Once some crisis managers have swept through, a lot of slots for new aircraft will become available, at good prices. I wouldn't order anything now, just wait for the bang in the pit. So this argument is no indicator.

The 773er lacks the legs to carry a useful load longer than 12hr, its payload restricted even on a ADL to DXB! The 77x will improve on this. But Pax will still be loaded like sardines to ensure the seat/mile costs are as advertised.
Isn't it ironic that this argument is constantly held against an aircraft that is profitabel? Maybe the 380 would be less of a guzzler if it was equipped the same way? It is the operator who choses the outfitting and most wanted the 380 to boast more luxury. It turned out that not enough passengers pay enough for it, end of story, end of line.

As for the move from 4 to 2 engines it has had many economic benefits to all the worlds airlines and the stretching of ETOPS regs has, how shall we say, enhanced this.
Bang on.

I still however feel sorry for the crew on a twin, who are going at some stage, to have to deal with multiple engine failure on a dark and stormy night over some inhospitable part of the planet
Well, apart from two incidents where pilot error starved their working twins (Air Canada, Air Transat), i can only recall multiple engine failures/problems with 4-holers! i.e. BA/KLM 747 volcanic ash, so more engines do not protect you more there, and AF Concorde and QF32 where on both occasions the one engine causing trouble infected the other close by and thus not really helping by having fitted more ..... Just saying.

All three are great aircraft. Orders would suggest that airlines think the cheaper 350s and 787s are a better fit.
Bang on again!
And both companies try to stretch their successful design, in order to get an even more economical aircraft. Very logical and legitimate and QED many times, so where's the problem with Boeing doing the same with the 77X?

Airbus does not do it with the whale and i guess they perfectly know why!

Last edited by glofish; 21st Jul 2016 at 04:41.