PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KA, anyone listening?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 02:24
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Anotherday has summed up a finally realized commercial necessity that will present an accountability for training that we haven't really seen in HKG among legacy mindsets.

So your competitor has a 100% pass rate and you fluctuate from 60% to 0% ? Local legacy training programs on paper, are thorough and expensive, compared to the competitors. Your competitors training costs are more in control which must be getting hard to justify?

Another conundrum that may not have been realized yet is the command course is viewed with terror by many who'd prefer to now look elsewhere. Some say the Standard contract is not worth the stress and times are good enough to move to airlines elsewhere with higher command pass rates. More waste after investing heavily into First Officer training.

One of the saddest events I've witnessed in aviation, was a thankfully now retired manager, who measured the success of "his" command training course by the high failure rate. He honestly felt our training the envy of industry. It was delusional and hard to stomach and I'm of the belief it has left us well behind the power curve with a lack of creativity, accountability and industry best practices for training. I hope the limitations of that legacy realized by the possible disciples of the reign.

Dumbing down of command training is not in the interests of an incumbent . You never want to make yourself easily replaceable in this industry. So standards must remain high. Conversely, I don't think its in our interests to have a program that is so damaging in its delivery that it leaves colleagues traumatized or people leaving, so we train for attrition and failure, and have little room to train for eventual expansion.

The only way forward is with creativity and initiative. Be interesting to watch.