PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2016, 21:15
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to correct you her website states...
Great Britain To Australia in an Open Cockpit Biplane

Tracey Curtis-Taylor starts 13,000 mile journey from Farnborough

Tracey Curtis-Taylor today departed Farnborough Airport in her classic 1942 Boeing Stearman Spirit of Artemis heading for Sydney, Australia. The intrepid British aviator’s expedition will include 50 legs as she crosses 23 countries on her trip across the globe. Her first day flying will see her stop in Le Touquet, France (120 nautical miles), before continuing on to Charleville in the Ardennes (a further 124 nm).
I read somewhere she had crosswind problems at L2K.

At this point I would would like to say the mods here have been very generous in allowing this thread to develop to one of the longest on private flying.

Although a rumour network please do not post unless you can analyse or link to published
sources.

Having come this far it would be a shame to have this long running thread closed.

However given that she happily accepted an honorary degree from Portsmouth University today http://uopnews.port.ac.uk/2016/07/11...ates-for-2016/

It is worth reading again a post from Sam Rutherford elsewhere on Prune.
I thought it best to clarify a couple of the aspects of Tracey Curtis-Taylor's Spirit of Artemis flight from Cape Town to Goodwood.

She did 44 flights within Africa from Cape Town to Crete in Greece.

On 40 of these flights, she was accompanied by her instructor (20000+ hours, and the same man who (beautifully) rebuilt the aeroplane from scratch).

On two of the solo flights, she asked the C208 to fly slowly in front of her as she was worried she wouldn't find the destination airfield (despite having two moving map GPS in the cockpit).

She had three pilots doing all the flight planning and preparation, filing of flight plans etc. and a full support organisation for all the ground logistics.
In short, perhaps not the 'achievement' she seeks to portray - and certainly nothing compared to Mary Heath's story (or many others).

In 2015 she accepted the prestigious Light Aircraft Association's Bill Woodhams Trophy normally awarded for 'Feats of Navigation'.

I consider it unfortunate:
- That her flight was judged the winner for 2014.
- That she was prepared to accept it (as opposed to politely declining).
- That whoever was in 'second place' missed out on what should perhaps have been theirs?

Looking to set the story a little straighter before this goes into the history books...

Safe flights, Sam.
http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-558368.html

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 20th Jul 2016 at 21:27.