PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA Trident London - Moscow 1971
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2016, 16:18
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pax britanica
I do not know all the airfields the T3 had to have boost engine reasons of short runway alone rather weight hot weather etc for other than EDI before the new runway and Oslo Fornebu any other offers.
I doubt the T3 operated into Edinburgh before the new runway was built (always open to correction of course). I was in Edinburgh in the 1970s, and the justification for the new runway was very much that the old one could not take BEA Tridents (BUA were already using One-Elevens). Once construction was agreed, however, Trident 1Cs were first infiltrated and then took over from Vanguards, the last of which was withdrawn in Spring 1974, with Edinburgh one of its last routes. Spring 1976 the route was converted to a Shuttle, but at that time the Shuttle fleet was all 100-seat Trident 1C. A year later in Spring 1977 the new runway and terminal was opened, and I think only after that would the T3 have come along there. Certainly all the early 1980s trips I did on the Edinburgh Shuttle were still with a Trident 1C.

If i cd drift the thread a little goijg bck to start about BEA and BOAC doing Moscow in the BALHR T3 lounge there is a poster saying fly BOAC to the Helsinki Olympics, could that be right.
Bit of a challenge as the Olympics there were in 1952. BOAC never served Helsinki, and BEA schedules in 1952 got no nearer than Stockholm, although they doubtless did some special flights. Nor did Aero (Finnair predecessor) come to London as their first Convair 440s were not delivered until the following year. Was the poster aimed more generally, at Americans coming to Europe that summer ? I think this is it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1952-BOAC-...-/291411463505