PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2016, 14:11
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
To spool back in time you have to see who she was networking with and how she got Royal Naval Reserve honourary Lt Commander rank less than a year ago.
This from her website last October
Evening with the Royal Navy and the Honarary Officers of the Royal Navy Reserves at the Cutty Sark
I was very, very privileged to be invited last week to a wonderful occasion and to find myself in illustrious company: HRH Prince Michael of Kent, First Sea Lord Admiral Sir George Zambellas and our host, Honorary Vice Admiral The Lord Sterling of Plaistow.
Highlights were the Royal Marine Band playing in the sunset with the Cutty Sark soaring above, all ropes and rigging, and fluttering ensigns. I can't remember when I have ever felt so moved and proud to be at the heart of what is a great part of our national identity. On a private note, generations of my family sailed these old tea clippers on the East India route and I am convinced that my love of flying and the elements springs from this very source.

Then dinner downstairs under the great burnished copper hull; really the most beautiful sight. Very fine dinner, with stirring speeches, much passing around of port and belting out sea shanties in real time-honoured way. What an evening!
Not bad for a UK PPL who was unheard of three years ago and, as I have said before, never managed a several hundred mile cross country flight alone

Is there an episode of Who Do You Think You Are on the horizon?

On a private note, generations of my family sailed these old tea clippers on the East India route and I am convinced that my love of flying and the elements springs from this very source.
Not an ancestor or two but "generations".

There must be a Curtis Taylor stately home somewhere in the UK with long lost relatives ready to mow the grass and let our period dressed 'Aviatrix' descend from the skies to lines of villagers ready to pay homage.

I must say having seen Tim Peake pictured below Farnborough last week he needs to sort out a better wardrobe before he gets his Masters Medal.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 20th Jul 2016 at 15:59.