PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Training department roster
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2016, 12:41
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps 'challenging' might be a better description of operations over the pole. Like 99% of our operations on new and highly automated & reliable equipment, our role is mainly to monitor. Hardly demanding other than humans are not best suited or designed to successfully deal with such monotony. This creates a performance over several hours that slides to the left of the famous performance/arousal curve making us vulnerable when we least expect it to a non normal. Low levels of alertness suddenly interrupted by a confusing and startling non normal event. AF447 trigger any bells?

Those that have spent those long hours pondering what to do, where to go and who to speak to are going to find the experience far less stressful than those sat with one finger up their backside while the other is jabbing at their I pads, all the while thinking what an easy gig this ULR stuff is. No doubt the same morons sat for 7 hours in their sweaty jim jams. Nice.....not!

That, 'The Crew', is the difference between a professional pilot and a pilot who thinks he knows but doesn't know what he thinks he knows! Comprende?

Not sure where you're going with a few of your recent posts but I hope I'm answering them to your satisfaction.

Harry