PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines (Taiwan)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2016, 10:45
sedna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the local taiwanese doesn't welcome expatriate pilots very much. that makes you life difficult. the senior pilots are very hierarchy minded, they want you (a junior expatriate) to kowtow on them, like you owe them a life. (expatriates are there to only make a living, there is no need to stood too low). there are some senior captains i knew whom gets failed for RT (radio telephony). a bit ridiculous for a chinese speaking airlines. i suspect it's just an anti-expatriate sentiment they have.

besides, the pay is too little for your sacrifice, moving from your home base to an island far away. with the high cost of living in taipei, and the 18% tax(minimum), plus deduction for some other stuffs (health insurance, etc etc). you don't get to send much home in the end.

if you are thinking of an upgrade (to command or to other WB fleet). i would advise you to think twice. taiwan is not an ICAO country. therefore, not many country recognises their license. (only a few country recognises them). that means, applying for jobs elsewhere in the future might be a problem.

CAL has been hiring for some time. if the company is that good to work for, why are they always hiring? and why are the local pilots leaving the airlines? and why was there a pilot and cabin crew strike not long ago?

personal opinion..