PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow changed to Class D to save the industry money,Williamtown what's happening?
Old 20th Jul 2016, 10:14
BuzzBox

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
For goodness sake, people, have a look at a standard MATZ/NATO/US military zone, then really justify the extent of military airspace in Australia, including the size of Williamtown or Richmond.
I could possibly agree with you about Richmond, but I would have a much harder time with Williamtown. I wonder how many of you naysayers have actually operated a military aircraft in those areas or have any clue about the type and frequency of operations that are conducted there. I also wonder if you have ever looked at the amount of airspace that is designated as either 'Restricted' or 'Military Operations Area' (MOA) around places such as NAS Lemoore and Nellis AFB in the USA. Although MOAs do not prohibit VFR aircraft, I think you'd be a bloody fool to go blundering through an active MOA where multiple fighters could be conducting air combat manoeuvring at high speed and extremely high rates of climb & descent.

There is plenty of whingeing by the US AOPA about such areas, so it seems that GA drivers in the US aren't happy either. Perhaps some of you lot need to get a grip and realise that national security concerns sometimes take precedence over your desire to fly wherever you want, whenever you feel like it.

Last edited by BuzzBox; 20th Jul 2016 at 22:39.