PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the UK leave NATO eventually?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2016, 14:39
Lonewolf_50

Received 433 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Lonewolf 50:-
It sounds suspiciously like "Europe must take care of its own defence".
No sir, that wasn't my intended meaning. I was alluding to a greater cultural commonality between Russian and Europe than between Europe and all of those difficult neighbors in the Southern Region and the middle east. Substantial trade relationships and opportunities for common projects already exist between Russia and numerous European states. Yes, there are some points of serious contention, but my post was an indication that I believe that the ability to work through those, however difficult, remains. (Look at some of the hard political squabbles the US and various European nations have had regarding, for example, nuclear policy. We've managed to work through most of them).
The USA leads the NATO alliance out of self interest. I would contend that same self interest still exists.
Yes. Our National Security policy continues to stress that we will generally work as part of a coalition. That hasn't changed in some decades. NATO and the trans Atlantic link, for all that Mr Obama dislikes the UK personally, remains of long term interest.
As to the threat from the south, I quite agree it exists.
Yes, the assessments then have borne out to be valid.
The EU in particular has proven particularly vulnerable to mass immigration with its lengthy coastline and open borders.
And the mid 90's strategic stupidity that led to "borderless" travel once within much of Europe. At the time, I was living in Europe, and voiced my dismay at this approach to some of my NATO colleagues. My European colleagues pointed out some of the conveniences, and most of them shared with me their optimism that it would in the long haul be of even greater benefit. This was also at a time when the Euro was being sold hard by certain governments and interests in Europe, the Independent European Defense Identity was being much talked about (to include Euro Corps), and any number of ideas were floating about regarding a greater political growing together of a lot of Europe.

I am drifting off topic. Sorry. NATO as a political organization has quite a bit of momentum. As a collective security organization, it's pretty effective for all of it warts. I am an outsider to UK views on the matter, but it seems to me a useful club to be in for the short to medium term, and likely the longer term as well.