PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith! Cancel this Ridiculous Wake Idea.
Old 19th Jul 2016, 14:23
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via Jabawocky:
...The argument is fatally flawed. You are miles in front yet you want it for free. It makes no sense.
Most dont want it nor do they need it..

At any rate. As I've noted before, ADSB needs GPS and GPS is just what the islamic nutters need, a drone bomb targeting system that we have no viable defense against at this time.
As an example, a couple of days ago Israel fired off a couple of patriot missles at a drone and missed! I dont yet know if they isolated the GPS signals to send the drone off track though I'd imagine the whole exercise probably cost Israel many hundreds of thousands of dollars... and the drone likely cost the terrorists a few hundred dollars and a couple of easily replaceable 'martyrs'.

"Two Patriot air defence missiles were fired towards a drone which infiltrated Israeli airspace in the central Golan Heights. The drone returned to Syria," the Israeli army said.

Ynetnews News - Patriot missiles fired at aircraft in Golan Heights

Drone Expert Concerned by Failure to Shoot Down UAV That Penetrated Israeli Airspace - Israel News - Haaretz

We set up Oz airspace to be reliant on a GPS based ADSB system and when the first terrorist drones start wandering in over the Oz coast there will be aviation chaos when the civvy GPS gets turned off. Likely, because we've become reliant on GPS, most of the light aircraft will be banned from the east coast regions that have heavy jet traffic. i.e., where most of the light aircraft are based.

It is compleat and utter idiocy to bring in any GPS based system until such time as the GPS guided terrorist bomb drones can be neutralized. In fact I'd think it were criminal to do so as the implementers of the system should know of the terrorist bomb threat and I'd think they'd have to be getting some sort of kick-backs to be still working on it at this time..

"...Commercially available drones have the potential to be converted into flying bombs capable of hitting targets such as nuclear power stations or the prime minister’s car, a report by a security thinktank has warned..."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rity-thinktank