PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Southern A320 damaged in hailstorm
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2016, 13:26
neila83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by autoflight
When I used to fly to China, it was considered very bad form to ask for diversion around TS, and request would be refused. Is this still the case? Is there any history of an emergency declaration and diversion without clearance?

The radar picture should have looked horrendous. Will we ever see an official report re this event?
Interesting. I've heard it's a bit of an effort to get clearance before but that it's actually bad form to even ask. So what would you do with a CB identified ahead? I assume you didn't just lough through?

I have to say I'm reluctant to take any flight that routes over China given the reports from pilots about this issue. I know you're supposed to be able to declare emergency, but I trust Delta and appparently they weren't able to avoid. I'd rather not take my chances we might not be forced to fly into an area where you essentially become a test pilot and are relying on blind luck to keep the plane together. There is no way of knowing what forces might lie in a particular CB...