PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Bad experience
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2016, 19:07
Sam Rutherford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two engine failures in one flight, the second one to the ground (airfield)

So,

I had an interesting day with a 'new' plane (microlight) - and am trying to figure out what might have happened. Help appreciated.

I'll bullet point the bits I think important...

• Avid Flyer 4, in great condition.
• Jabiru 2200, in great condition.
• Flight across Alps, south to north.
• Average altitude 9000’, maximum 12K.
• 4 hours.

Took off as normal, but only after a weird whistling on the comms – stopped by removing the aircraft power supply and relying on the 9v battery inside.
After 3 hours, engine started running roughly, occasionally. Carb icing suspected but carb heat had no effect.

Suspected choked/choking mags (no leaning option on this one) – so attempted to lean with fuel tap. Fairly difficult – several donkey stops before I found the point on the tap (only 90 degrees between open and closed!) – but again, no real change/improvement.

Problem increasing – so I increased RPM (from 2600 to 3000) and engine ran faster than for a normal cruise but smoothly, EGT etc. all okay.
Then, silence. Long let down to valley floor (doing all the usual things) engine restarted (by itself) at about 500’ agl – I’d have made my field I think…

Nearest airfield 10 minutes away (long 10 minutes!), engine running smoothly. Made a very tight circuit and once on base reduced power – engine cut. Landing made. Tried to start engine immediately, but barely turned over then clicking from starter (typical weak battery noise). Pushed plane to taxiway and apron…

Closer analysis with a multimeter, battery reading 12.1V and once engine started with external power there was no change to this figure with RPM movement. The aircraft has no electrical system indicators.
30 years flying, and I get two engine failures in one flight!

Answers on a postcard?

Fly safe, Sam.