PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this safe? Need reality check
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2016, 18:38
Phrogger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this safe? Need reality check

Hey there. I don't know any other pipeline pilots that don't work for my company so I could use some safety advice on our procedures.

I fly a C172 on a waiver between 300-500 ft inspecting gas and liquid underground pipelines and right of way. I visually scan the right of way and report anything I see, such as dead vegetation or construction. I take photos of the site, and record the location on paper, without an observer helping. I fly in a lot of congested airspace, as some of the lines go right through GA airport property. Some routes fly over hills with almost nowhere to land. Here's where I have the safety issue: the clients want me to do all the reporting in the air as I see it. So, if I fly over a construction site, right now I write it down and report it at my fuel stop two hours later. But they want me to call in the site to the technician immediately and text the pictures and location. It isn't an easy thing to do...I have to circle to take pictures already, I record the lat/long from my computer using a screenshot but explaining verbally where the location is to the technician is quite a feat. "North of the right of way at milepost 42, along State Road 35 behind the farmhouse" would be what they want. In order to get all that I have to circle and look at my laptop, and zoom in on the map while trying to figure out what road that is I am flying over. Figuring it out later on the ground is no problem.

I get that they want the "emergency" calls right away. I always do that, but I climb above 500 and circle a safe distance away from obstacles or airfields (this is still not easy or "safe," just "safer"). An emergency would be a backhoe digging right that moment over the pipeline. However, engineer stakes or an idle piece of equipment is not an emergency. What is the difference if I do it right then or in two hours? I understand they'd like to have it sooner. But really the danger of doing all this is my issue. Circling at 500ft, looking at laptop, making phone calls and texting. Did I mention this is in a 172 with no autopilot? I have already had one close call with another aircraft. Please let me know if my concern is justified or if I need to turn in my wings. I'm a mid-time pilot, no noob but this just seems dangerous and I don't think any number of hours will make it safer.

Thanks for the comments.